|Cereal Muffins made with Post Raisin Bran and Apples.|
Please note that this recipe is only soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients and is also nut-free (if you don't add any) and fish-free. :)
4 Cups soy-free bran flakes
2 Cups milk
1/2 Cup olive oil
2 Cups soy-free flour (all-purpose or whole wheat)
1/2 Cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400oF.
2. Mix bran flakes and milk and let stand up to 5 minutes (depending how much "crunch" you want left in them) to soften the flakes.
3. Add oil and eggs to cereal mixture. Blend well.
4. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix well.
5. Line muffin tins with 18 to 24 paper cups.
6. Fill cups 2/3 or so full.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center muffin comes out clean.
Variations: You can add dried fruit and/or nuts if you wish (about a Cup; depends on your preference, but I wouldn't exceed 1 1/2 Cups of add-ins). Fresh fruit (i.e. apples (with or without peel) in a small dice, sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) would work, too, but NOT frozen as it will make the batter too mushy from water content. You can also make these with a soy-free Raisin Bran (Post is soy-free) instead of the bran flakes.
These are a great alternative to your run-of-the-mill rolls. They are also great for breakfast!
This recipe was submitted to:
Food on Friday on Carole's Chatter
Wonderful Food Wednesday on Family, Food and Travel