This is a Mexican-style cookie that I got from Allrecipes.com as submitted by Cathy. These are excellent and very easy to make. They are perfect for an International Dinner dessert idea or for a Mexican-themed party. They are also a wonderful idea for tea time or to have handy with a cup of coffee. :)
Please note that this recipe is only soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients and is fish, nut and egg-free.
Polvorones de Canele (Cinnamon Cookies)
1 Cup salted, full-fat butter
1/2 Cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 Cups soy-free flour
1 Cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350oF.
2. Grease cookie sheets. (I do this with salted butter rather than shortening or cooking spray to keep it soy-free. You could also use olive or canola oil to grease with.)
3. In a medium bowl, cream together 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and butter until smooth, then stir in vanilla.
4. In another medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture to form a stiff dough.
5. Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
6. In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; roll balls in cinnamon mixture. (Be generous with the rolling in this step - They should be well-coated.)
7. Place balls as is on greased cookie sheet - DO NOT FLATTEN.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until nicely browned. DO NOT OVERBAKE.
9. Cool cookies on wire racks, waxed paper or paper sacks.
These cookies are best eaten after they have totally cooled.