This is a recipe I received from my cousin, Suzanne. It is very simple, good and customizable. It was a huge hit with my kiddos and husband. It has definitely earned a spot in our favorites, as I hope it will in yours. :)
Please note that this recipe is only soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients, is fish and nut-free and can be wheat-free if you use gluten-free flour (such as King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Flour).
Upside Down Pizza
1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef or turkey
(Double check labels if using turkey to make sure that it is soy-free!)
1 jar of soy-free spaghetti sauce
(such as Bertolli Tomato and Basil (non-organic))
12 oz. (1 1/2 Cups) of Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 Cup milk
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Cup Soy-free flour
(All Purpose or Whole Wheat both work well, just check labels to make sure it's soy-free!)
1. Preheat oven to 350oF.
2. In a large skillet, brown meat.
3. Add sauce to the meat and pour mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9 pan.
4. Sprinkle most of the cheese over meat mixture.
5. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, oil, and flour and pour it over the top of the meat mixture and cheese in the pan before sprinkling the rest of the cheese on top.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until slightly browned and bubbly (think what pizza/lasagna looks like when it's done).
- You can use any combination of soy-free meats and veggies that you like on your pizza in this. Just add them in with the ground beef/turkey or in place of it. I would recommend keeping your amount of meats/veggies to around 1 to 2 Cups total, though.
- You can use Co-Jack cheese with your Mozzarella or in place of if you want to. Again, keep your total amount of cheese between 1 and 2 Cups.
- For extra flare, sprinkle Oregano and/or Dried Parsley on top before baking.