This is a modified version of a pie recipe that I got from "The Sommer Seasons" cookbook that my Grandma Roberta Sommer listed. Please note that this recipe can be soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients, and is fish and nut-free.
Vanilla Custard Pie
9-inch pie shell, baked
2/3 Cup white sugar
1/3 Cup cornstarch
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Cups milk, scalded
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. In large pot, blend sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in hot milk slowly. (I add a little bit, stir well, add a little more milk, stir, etc. until all the milk is incorporated.)
2. Cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken.
3. Add 1/3 of the mixture to well beaten egg yolks and then add the egg yolks to custard.
4. Cook mixture for 2 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from heat.
5. Add vanilla and pour into baked pie crust and allow to cool completely.
6. Top with whipped cream before serving.
- Add 1/2 Cup of peanut butter during step 5 to make a peanut butter version (This version is not nut-free, and is only soy-free if you use a soy-free, natural peanut butter.).
- Add 1/2 Cup of coconut during step 5 to make a coconut version. (Note: I do not consider coconut a tree nut, though some do, so if you cannot have it, please don't make this version. :) )
- Add 1 teaspoon mint extract during step 5 to make a mint version.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg during step 5 to make a spiced version.
- Add 1 Tablespoon to 1/3 Cup lemon, lime, orange or pineapple juice during step 5 to make a citrus version. Omitting the vanilla is up to you.
- Add 1/3 Cup cocoa powder to the sugar in step 1 to make a chocolate version.
Have playing around with the flavors! As you can see, there's a lot you can do to modify it.