In honor of Independence Day in a few days, I decided to share a recipe that I shared on
Jo, My Gosh! back in the end of May that fits the theme of the Fourth: patriotism!
(To see the original post, go here.)
Variations (Please remember to keep your particular allergen needs in mind when using substitutions!):
- Gluten/Wheat-Free Version: Substitute Gluten-Free (Such as King Arthur Brand) flour for the flour. You may also have to add up to 1/2 teaspoon ground flax seed or xanthan gum to the mix as well for texture issues.
- Milk-Free Version: Substitute olive, corn or canola oil or dairy-free butter (like Earth Balance) for the butter in the bread and grease the pan with olive, corn or canola oil or dairy-free butter. It works wonderfully! You will have to use a dairy-free butter in the streusel or leave it off, as well.
- Berry Bread: Use any type of berry (i.e. raspberries, blackberries, cherries) in place of the blueberries and strawberries, or use any mix of berries that you wish, just do not exceed 1 1/2 Cups total of mashed berries.
- Mix In Fruit/Nuts: You can always add some dried or fresh berries/cherries and/or nuts to the bread, too, but no more than 1 Cup total mix-ins. Make sure that any fruit is either dried or fresh, though. Extra frozen berries/cherries make a mush mess!
- Less/No Streusel: If you are not fond of streusel, just leave it off. If you like it but think the amount is too much, reduce the ingredients in the streusel by 1/2 and make as directed.
- Patriotic Muffins: This recipe would be great as muffins! Just divide the batter equally among 12 to 18 paper-lined muffin cups, top batter with streusel topping and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the center muffins comes out clean.