It's now August, and summer is nearing an end, however, it is still roasty toasty outside, and some days more than others. I don't know about you, but on days like that, I want something cold and refreshing, and nothing screams that more than a frozen lemonade. What's better than that? Well, a frozen strawberry lemonade that is top 8 free, that's what! :)
This recipe is of my own design and beyond easy. It is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), wheat, nut, fish, egg and milk-free. Besides that, it is only a handful of ingredients (as little as 2), which is pretty awesome! It can even been diabetic friendly (see variations). Did I mention it is extremely delish, too? No? Well, it is! You will not be disappointed!
Frozen Strawberry Lemonade
soy-free frozen strawberries, whole or sliced (no sugar added)
(Yes, they MUST be frozen)
(here's a good, easy recipe if you need it: Sweet and Simple Homemade Lemonade)
- Place desired amount (about a cup per person generally) frozen (yes, they MUST be frozen) strawberries into a blender.
- Add enough lemonade to cover the fruit and blend until desired consistency. (Note: You may have to pulse the mix at first until it is slightly blended, then continue full boar. I use "Ice Crush" mode normally, but you can play around with the buttons and see which works best for you. :) Also, feel free to add more lemonade if the mixture is too thick or more strawberries if it is too thin.)
- If your strawberries are extra tart, you may need to add a little sugar if you find the mix too sour and re-blend. (Note: Start with a tablespoon, blend, re-taste and add a teaspoon or so more at a time until you reach desired sweetness.)
And that's it! Easy peasy lemon squeezy! :) Just pour into a glass or glasses and enjoy!
Variations (Please keep your individual allergen needs in mind when using variations):
- Diabetic Friendly: You can substitute a sugar-free lemonade and sugar substitute as needed for the lemonade and sugar in this recipe.
- Alternate Sugars: You can use a lemonade made with honey, maple syrup or some other natural sweetener, too, if you like instead of the lemonade listed and use honey, maple syrup or some other natural sweetener as needed for the sugar, as well.
- Other Fruits: You can use any frozen fruit or berry that you like in place of the strawberries, such as raspberries, cherries, blueberries, mango, pineapple, etc. You can use any mix of fruits and/or berries that you like, too. If you want to use a fruit like watermelon that doesn't freeze well, just freeze the lemonade into ice cubes instead. You will have to use the lemonade ice cubes, fruit and some liquid lemonade (and sugar, if needed) if using this option.
- Other Liquid: If you want, you can always use another liquid. You can use any juice or combination that you like (see my Fruit Smoothie recipe). You can also blend a juice like orange, limeade or pineapple with the lemonade, if desired.
And if you don't believe me that this recipe hits the spot, just ask my little girl:
|Doing her favorite thing: Watching a show, eating popcorn (hulless popcorn in this case since she still can't have regular popcorn yet) and drinking a "smoothie" (in this case, Frozen Strawberry Lemonade) with her mommy. :)|
Oh, yah! We have a winner! :)
What's your favorite summer time, family friendly drink of choice?
What's your favorite way to cool off on a hot day?
What's your favorite lemonade flavor or smoothie flavor?