This content was accurate at the time of posting, but it is possible that it is outdated at the time of your viewing. Please, do NOT let this information replace the advice of your doctor/allergist. ALWAYS follow their instructions and recommendations over mine.
CHECK LABELS EVERY TIME, EVEN IF YOU'VE BOUGHT A PRODUCT A MILLION TIMES BEFORE!
Ingredients change often, companies change hands, and policies change. What once was safe, can now be unsafe. For your own health and safety, please make it a habit of ALWAYS reading the ingredients of EVERYTHING before you buy it.
Also, if you notice that I have a product listed as "safe" for your particular allergen/sensitivity needs, PLEASE let me know so that I can update my information. I strive to keep things current, but I do miss things from time to time. Your help in this matter is invaluable to provide the most current information to my readers.
Thank you so much!
|Image courtesy of rakratchada torsap / FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
Alternative Names for Fish, Seafood and Shellfish*
- ANYTHING with fish in the name (fish)
- ANYTHING with seafood in the name (seafood)
- ANYTHING with shellfish in the name (shellfish)
- Caviar (fish)
- Anchovy (fish)
- ANY of the names listed here which are different types of fish (fish)
- ANY of the names listed here which are different types of seafood (fish, seafood, shellfish)
- Sushi (fish, seafood, shellfish)
- Ceviche (fish)
- Crudo (fish)
- E'ia Ota (fish)
- Esqueixada (fish)
- Gravlax (fish)
- Hinava (fish)
- Umai (fish)
- Hoe (seafood)
- Kinilaw/Kilawin (fish)
- Koi pla (fish)
- Isan (fish)
- Kokoda (fish)
- Lap pa/Lap pla (fish)
- 'Ota 'ika (fish)
- Poke (fish)
- Sashimi (fish, seafood)
- Tiradito (fish, seafood)
- Xato (fish)
- Yusheng (fish)
- Barnacle (shellfish)
- Crab (shellfish)
- Crawfish, crawdad, crayfish (shellfish)
- ecrevisse (shellfish)
- Krill (shellfish)
- Lobster (shellfish)
- Langouste/langoustine (shellfish)
- Moreton bay bugs (shellfish)
- Scampi (shellfish)
- Tomalley (shellfish)
- Prawns (shellfish)
- Crevette (shellfish)
- Mollusks (shellfish)
- Snails (shellfish)
- Escargot (shellfish)
- Calamari (seafood)
- Roe (fish, seafood)
- Glucosamine (shellfish)**
- Kuai (fish)**
- Joulupoyta (fish, seafood, shellfish)**
- Kelaguen (fish, seafood, shellfish)**
- Carpaccio (fish)**
- Caesar salad or Caesar salad dressing (fish)**
- Worcestershire sauce (fish)**
- Bouillabaisse (fish, seafood, shellfish)**
- Imitation or artificial fish or shellfish like surimi, sea legs or sea sticks (fish, shellfish)**
- Meatloaf (fish, seafood, shellfish)**
- Barbecue sauce (fish, seafood, shellfish)**
- Caponata (Sicilian eggplant relish) (fish, seafood, shellfish)**
- Omega-3 (fish, seafood, shellfish)**
This is by no means an all-inclusive list. I am sure I have forgotten some fish, seafood or shellfish names, but this is a good start. For more information, you can Google "names for fish", "names for seafood", "names for shellfish", "products containing fish", etc. If you come across a less than common name for fish, seafood or shellfish, please email me or comment below so that I can add it. Thank you!
*Note: I have labeled all alternative names with the common name in parentheses (when possible), such as (shrimp), (fish), (seafood), etc., so that if you are not allergic to say, fish, you know that this name should be safe for you to consume/use, though I recommend checking labels for allergens on ALL things just to be safe. Also, talk with your allergist to see if you should avoid any of these ingredients. Some allergists recommend that you avoid all forms of seafood, fish and shellfish if you are allergic to one due to the cross-contamination issues.
**These items do not always contain fish, seafood or shellfish.
Helpful Fish, Seafood and Shellfish-Free Links
- Required Reading With Food Allergies or Celiac Disease
- FoodAllergy.org's Shellfish allergy page.
- FoodAllergy.org's Fish allergy page.
- Free printables from Kids With Food Allergies that can help you in all aspects of life and communication with others.
- ACAAI's Fish allergy page.
- ACAAI's Shellfish allergy page.
- Puritan's Pride has a lot of vitamins that are fish, seafood and/or shellfish free.
- Snack Safely is a great place to quickly check to see if your potential snack is safe or not for your allergens.
- AvoidingMilkProtein.com has some great multiple food allergy blogs listed, as well as lots of specific info to particular food allergies. A great site for more info on avoiding allergens and finding information.
- Natural Candy Store has some great candy that is free of the top 8 allergens!
- Google and Bing can be a great help in finding more alternative names for fish, seafood and shellfish and other information about fish, seafood and/or shellfish allergies. Just search "seafood allergies" or "names of fish" and you will get a ton of sites to look through.
- iMenus is an up and coming allergy-friendly restaurant app. According to their website, iMenus will list "all nutrition and ingredient information for each restaurant menu item". It appears to still be in the funding/testing phase, but I do hope that it is active soon! Check it out for more information and to offer support if you wish.
- Buiced claims to have vitamins that are non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and caffeine-free. Basically, they say their product is top 8 free.
- Ceela Naturals has "gluten, soy, nut, dairy, cruelty free vegan skin care". To read my review on some of these products, go here.
If you have any more sites or information for me to add, please feel free to email me or comment below. Thanks! :)